Panda



Thursday May 23, 2013
Giant Panda, 1951 (population boom in China)
Male, 93 kg


Time to Journey
Far away
Leaving all
For something
New
Lumbering around
Not knowing
Where to Go
Strange Places
Creepy
To my Ears
Keep
Shaking Head
Back and Forth
To Make Sure
No Attacks
Are Near
So Scared
Not Running
Scared of
Losing my
Strength
Tiring
Tiring
Want to Stop
But must
Keep Going
Find the
Perfect Place
How Long
Have I been
Moving
I want to
Collapse
But I need
To Find
A Good Place
Foreign
Territory
What goes on
Here
I see
Massive Stone
That seems
Solid and
Unyielding
But
An Opening
Reveals
A dark inside
Should I
Dare to
Go In
I am
Tired
Weighing
Possibilities
Animal Attack
Fainting
Dying of Cold
Going On
Starvation
I Go In
Dark
Musty
Foreign Smell
But not
Cold or
Drafty
No Sounds of
Threat
I decide to
Stay here
For the
Night
And Rest
my
Aching Body
Worrying
About my
Future
Hard to
Rest
But
Eventually I
Drift...
Drift...
Drift...
Off into
Sleep
Wish I could
Stay in
Sleep
Forever
Open Eyes
See Light
Infiltrating
Safe Rock
Stretch
Sore
Rock on my
Paws
Walk to
The Opening
And peer
Outside
Threats
Sounds
Smells
Should I
Leave this
Safe sanctuary
I Stay There
Thinking
Missing my
Safe Home
But
Decide
to Find
Another
Perfect Place
This Place
Isn’t It
Will Find
Others like me
Outside
Eating
Little Strips
of Bamboo
Not much Left
How Many
Days
Has it
Been
I Keep
Resting in
Caves
But none Feel
Right
None Feel Like
Home
So I Keep
Wandering
Finding the
Perfect Place
The Replacement
Lumbering Around
Listening
I hear
Voices
So similar
To those
A Couple of
Days Ago
Those Voices
Those creatures
Controlling the Monsters
Those Humans
I am Scared
Frozen
Should I
Stay or Go
Can they
Hear Me
“There should be one somewhere”
one says
“Big creatures
They can’t hide for long”
says the second
“Not able to camouflage
this will be easy”
the first agrees
They Crash
Through the
Trees
Nearer
And Nearer
And Nearer
To Me
And then
A Shout
From the
First
“There’s one!”
And I
Run
Run
Run
For my
Life
I have seen
What these
Creatures can
Do with
Their Machines
I Want to
Live
So I Run
They Crash
Cracking
Splintering
Bamboo
My Food
My Life
Holding
Metal
Sticks
One holds
the Stick
Up
Directs at
Me
And moves
His
Finger
CRACK
Loud
Noise
Deafens my
Ears
“Darn, I missed”
the one that Shoots
Says
“I’ll try”
Says the other
Another
BOOM
CRACK
Ahead of me
The Bamboo
Falls to the
Ground
Broken in
Two
Running
Running
Running
BOOM
CRACK
BOOM
CRACK
Bad Sticks
Bad Metal Sticks
BOOM
CRACK
BOOM
CRACK
I Race
Trying to find
A Place to
Hide
I see a Cave
I skid to
Turn
And Hide
Shivering
Cowering
The BOOM
CRACKS
Are Suddenly
Gone
“Aw, let him go”
I Hear
“Yeah, there are probably
Plenty more Out There”
another says
“We gotta work on our
Aim”
Says the first
“We could’ve gotten him
More money in our
Pockets”
agrees the other
“Lucky fella
Hope he Understands
What a Blessing we have
Given him”
they Laugh

No comments:

Post a Comment